Software Engineer, Ruby
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive at Ascent if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
You’ll be working on the core asset our company: the data store and its APIs. Our graph database interfaces with both our customer-facing application and tools for internal users. Primary responsibilities:
- Use creativity and independent thinking to solve technical problems
- Collaborate with our domain team to understand what external data is important to our customers
- Improve, manage and build data pipelines, and iteratively refine our understanding of the data sources we care about
- Contribute to logging, monitoring, and alerting to maintain performance visibility within our team and across the company
- Implement features with an emphasis on tests, maintainability, and clean coding practices to produce simple solutions and reduce technical debt
Minimum skills and experience
- 3+ years professional web programming background, preferably in Rails
- Proven ability to work productively on small teams and manage work-streams independently if needed
- Experience deploying and maintaining code using git-based tools and operating in a continuous deployment/integration environment
- Experience writing thorough tests and documentation for maintainable codebases
- Exposure to a graph database, such as Neo4J
- Experience with S3 and cloud-based file management
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!
We’re excited to hear from you! Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.