Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive at Ascent if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
You’ll be growing our core customer-facing platform, as well as laying the technical foundation of the company to support future growth and expansion.
- Use creativity and independent thinking to solve technical problems
- Work closely with teammates to help them level up as engineers
- Build out core features using Ruby, Rails, and React
- Collaborate closely with our Product organization to deliver on our customer commitments
Minimum Skills and Experience
- Experience writing web applications using Rails
- Experience with external API design
- Experience with Heroku and AWS
- Commitment to thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Empathy for and ability to listen to our internal customers and respond to their needs
- Experience with web scraping, OCR, data pipelines
- Experience with S3 and cloud-based file management
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!
We’re excited to hear from you! Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.