Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive at Ascent if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
You’ll be maintaining and growing the core asset our company: the data store and its APIs. Our graph database interfaces with both our customer-facing application and tools for internal users. Primary responsibilities:
- Collaborate in the full product design cycle, understanding the needs of both the internal and external consumers of your API(s)
- Work with our internal domain experts to create and evolve data models
- Establish APIs to support partnerships that can scale as the business grows
- Create workflows that allow us to scale a remote labor force cheaply and easily
- Build out core backend features
Minimum Skills and Experience
- Experience writing SQL
- Experience writing web applications, preferably using Rails
- Commitment to thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Graph database, such as Neo4J
- Microservices ecosystem or service-oriented architecture
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!
We’re excited to hear from you! Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.