Senior Regulator Legal Associate
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series B funding round of $19.3M in Fall 2019. Founded only four years ago, the team has since grown to almost 50 full time employees, led and supported by an executive team and board of directors with extensive experience in technology, regulatory compliance, sales and business operations. Ascent serves global financial institutions such as ING and CommBank, and is also working directly with regulators around the world in order to continually improve and advance our product.
A first mover in building proprietary RegulationAI™, Ascent delivers market leading regulatory knowledge as a groundbreaking new way for financial firms to manage compliance. It is our mission to help our customers protect their business from regulatory and reputational risk while reducing their overall cost to comply.
We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results. Together, we are solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive here if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your work product.
You will help define our legal data production strategy and influence our internal process, tooling, and knowledge product. As a Regulatory Intelligence team member you will have the most complete and comprehensive view of our data production and thus will play an influential role in defining our product.
- Act as a mentor to and possibly manage less experienced regulatory legal analysts or associates.
- Lead the review and breakdown regulatory rules into requirements and supporting information
- Identify relevant regulatory documents, review and extract data
- Input, track and maintain all changes to regulatory rules and documents
- Identify improvements to efficiency and accuracy of data creation and implement effective solutions
- Collaborate with Technology and Data Science Teams to increase operations
- Support in all aspects of the creation, maintenance and integrity of data for the customer application
What we’re looking for:
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to understand and categorize regulatory language
- Ability to visualize words as data points, and vice versa
- Ability to make logical connections between regulatory rules and documents
- Experience working in Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Microsoft Excel
- Ability to effectively collaborate with team members and work independently
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to change in a fast-paced working environment
- J.D. or LLM
- Enjoys tackling ambiguous problems
- Takes initiative but also follows instructions when needed
- Maintains both big-picture thinking and detail-orientation
- Communicates personal timelines and asks for help when needed
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in teams
- Interest in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing or Predictive analytics with text preferred.
The Legal Associate reports to the Reg Intel Manager and frequently collaborates with all team members.
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; premiums paid 95% for the individual
- Medical premiums paid 50% for covered dependents
- Life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Professional development stipend
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!