Senior Rails Developer
Who We Are
Ascent helps its customers follow laws and regulations. We are a new type of company, a “RegTech” organization that combines a SaaS platform with intelligent content to provide customized tools and targeted advice for our customers. We’re using modern techniques like machine learning and predictive analytics to stay at the forefront of our industry.
The Ascent platform makes it easy for compliance officers in regulated industries to see exactly what is expected of their companies, then track and report on the steps they’re taking to stay compliant. Before Ascent, this was a very expensive manual process. Reasonable regulation is an important part of the free market, protecting consumers and leveling the playing field. But due to their complexity and sheer volume, regulations often feel more like a punitive burden. By reducing the cost of compliance Ascent is encouraging innovation, helping existing companies stay in business, and making it possible for new companies to get started. The efficient intelligence we provide helps our customers fulfill the spirit (and letter) of their obligations in a way that lets them breathe easy and focus on building value for their own customers through their core business.
We’re currently focused on regulations in the financial services sector, though our platform is flexible enough to eventually handle all regulated industries (EPA, FDA, etc). We recently raised $6M in Series A fundraising from respected investors in this space who truly believe in the opportunity we’re pursuing. As a team, we explicitly value integrity, cooperation, persistence, customer obsession, and innovation. We believe a diversity of opinions and perspectives builds a stronger team and product.
Who You Are
You’ll play a meaningful role across the board in our technology, product, process, and culture. We want you to think critically about problems, potential solutions, constraints, goals – and then do whatever you can to help the team succeed. Everyone brings a unique set of skills and talents, technical and otherwise, and we want to take advantage of everything you have to offer. You’ll work directly with our CTO Chris Doyle to gain context for your work, and to get the support you need for Ascent to be a transformational period of growth in your career. We want to make sure you’re getting as much out of this opportunity as you’re putting in.
You’ll be growing our core platform, including both customer-facing and internal tools. For customers, we’re building intuitive workflow management to track the activities a company will take to fulfill their regulatory obligations. For internal users, we’re building and integrating a continuum of manual, programmatic, and machine learning solutions to efficiently collect and manage regulatory content. More concretely, you may be working on projects like:
- Building out core backend and frontend features
- Establishing APIs to support partnerships that can scale as the business grows
- Creating workflows that allow us to scale a remote labor force cheaply and easily
- Laying the groundwork to split key components into a small SOA architecture
- Working with our internal domain experts to create the tools that will maximize their efficiency
We’re looking for someone who has demonstrated the ability to:
- Efficiently write stable, streamlined code
- Create, evolve, and defend strong conceptual models
- Collaborate in the full product cycle
- Advocate for the user
- Push themselves to continually grow and learn
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!