Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive here if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
You will define our overarching quality assurance strategy and influence our tooling and design choices. Your team will have the most complete and comprehensive view of our asset suite and thus will play a leading role in defining the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) we’ll use to track our applications’ health and compliance.
- Collaboratively develop realistic KPIs with company leadership and identify policies and procedures for all teams to meet them.
- Automate as many tests as possible, at all levels of performance, helping application teams with unit testing and integration testing when relevant, and taking the lead on smoke testing, performance testing, distributed tracing, and user acceptance testing.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues about quality assurance KPIs including ADA compliance,and other relevant standards which we will rely on you to identify.
- Help define incident reporting and response standards, and help develop emergency response plans.
- Implement with an emphasis on tests, maintainability, and clean coding practices to produce simple solutions and reduce technical debt.
- Use tact and empathy, and train your team for the same, to help course-correct colleagues on other teams when app performance dips below our standards.
- 5+ years in quality assurance; 2+ in leadership
- Experience deploying and maintaining code using git-based tools and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience writing thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Ability to work productively on small teams and lead workstreams independently if needed
- Experience mentoring less experienced colleagues
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical colleagues
- Experience with ADA, GDPR, and other compliance laws and standards
- Experience with stress-testing and other high-intensity performance tests
- Experience with NewRelic, Jest, rspec, pytest/unittest
- Experience with distributed tracking
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!
We’re excited to hear from you! Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.