Senior Data Engineer
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series B funding round of $19.3M in Fall 2019. Founded only four years ago, the team has since grown to almost 50 full time employees, led and supported by an executive team and board of directors with extensive experience in technology, regulatory compliance, sales and business operations. Ascent serves global financial institutions such as ING and CommBank, and is also working directly with regulators around the world in order to continually improve and advance our product.
A first mover in building proprietary RegulationAI™, Ascent delivers market leading regulatory knowledge as a groundbreaking new way for financial firms to manage compliance. It is our mission to help our customers protect their business from regulatory and reputational risk while reducing their overall cost to comply.
We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results. Together, we are solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You will thrive here if you are highly self-motivated and self-directed. In your professional work, you consider your end user to be of highest importance. You are committed to mentorship and lifelong learning, and desire autonomy and full ownership of your products.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Ascent, you will be working closely with data scientists and software engineers to architect and build systems to ingest, clean, store and retrieve data.
- Create a microservice ecosystem behind a consistent, well-documented API
- Design and implement data models and database layers that support our machine learning and business intelligence activities
- Use creativity and independent thinking to solve technical problems
- Communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues about our data engineering projects
- Work closely with data scientists to understand their needs and processes
- Work closely with our whole technology team to successfully maintain our data platform alongside the broader technology stack
- Implement with an emphasis on tests, maintainability, and clean coding practices to produce simple solutions and reduce technical debt
- 3+ years building and maintaining back-end services in production, preferably using container-based architectures
- Experience using AWS tools and services
- Experience with relational databases and data pipelines
- Proficient in SQL, *nix CLI tools, and Python
- Experience deploying and maintaining code using git-based tools and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience writing thorough tests and documentation for maintainable code-bases
- Ability to develop creative technical solutions given a set of business requirements and a strong understanding of modern data architectures
- Ability to work productively on small teams and lead workstreams independently if needed
- Experience mentoring less experienced colleagues
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical colleagues
- Experience working with data scientists in production roles
- 3+ years building and maintaining data science pipelines that incorporate machine learning models in a production environment behind an API
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with serverless
- Experience storing and using large amounts of text data and text transformations
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance; premiums paid 95% for the individual
- Medical premiums paid 50% for covered dependents
- Life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Professional development stipend
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!